What's your favorite comfort foods? Mine is ... chocolate. Many people in my life have actually mentioned their concerns for me and my chocolate. Apparently I have an addiction. A chocolate addiction. Is it so bad??
Well, yesterday I turned to my chocolate addiction for comfort when I recieved a very scary phone call. To protect the privacy of this loved one I won't divulge names- however my life felt as if it was going to shatter. I began to shake and my stomach turned, and I just melted into a puddle of self pity and tears.
I needed chocolate.
After I got off the phone, slightly hysterical, I called my best friend Rachel. She immediately dropped what she was doing and came over and said a prayer with me. Slightly calmer and actually able to laugh at my son's shinanigans she was able to leave.
And out came the M&M's, animal crackers, and chocolate frosting.
I had myself a feast. Luckily I didn't gain any weight from this horrible binge, but I didn't lose any either. Mostly though, I was able to reason sorrow and doubts in my mind as I kept my taste buds busy.
So no, I'm not proud of my chocolate addiction- But at this moment... I'm pretty thankful for it.
Do you have a favorite comfort food? What about a healthy comfort food suggestion? I can use any help you are able to offer!! :)
Wednesday, October 20, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





5 comments:
I have no help for you at all, I'm sorry. I am totally addicted to chocolate as well, it is wonderful! Any kind of chocolate is great with me, well, I'm not too thrilled about dark, and special dark, but I'll take it if there is nothing else around. :)
I hope things are alright with your news that you received, and again, I'm sorry that I am absolutely worthless when it comes to your chocolate addiction.
Try nutella and bananas...delicious!
Hm...we've never tried nutella and bananas...but that sounds good! Growing up, our German mama taught us the true way to eat it...by the heaping spoonful!! :) Haha. But I've actually dipped pretzels in it, which is pretty good too. Sister, you know what my favorite snack is?? Ummm....no bake cookies. Healthy snack? hm...I mixed one of those Ranch packets with plain Greek Yogurt, and that is good as a sub for ranch on my sandwich wraps and stuff. Try it! Oh, and I am so relieved that everything is ok!!
I dip bananas in crunchy peanut butter - does that count? Sorry, Nicole, but healthy and comfort don't match. They do not belong in the same sentence. The real trick is learning to indulge only a little bit in the comfort food. Love every lick, every nibble. Relish it, accept the power of it. And then put it away and move on. It is okay to have chocolate as a comfort food. I totally give you my permission!
Sorry yesterday was so scary for you, though. I've got to find out what's going on (day late and dollar short is me).
I'm with your Aunt...healthy and comfort just don't go together!! I'm not an enormous chocolate fiend myself but I find some of the things I like to munch on is homemade trail mix. I won't even start to list all the bad things I like to munch on that I try to keep OUT of the house!
Post a Comment